Monday, January 7, 2008

What a brilliant morning I have had. I am refreshed, revitalised and raring to go, go, go! I started the morning with a little quiet time. Then I headed off for a run and broke one of my time barriers. I came home, swam, showered, had breakfast with the family, cleaned the kitchen and got back to my PC by 07h00. Can every day start this well? I intend to make it so….

I do have a rant this morning. The family and I went to see Surfs Up last week. I assumed (and it would seem mistakenly so) that this is a children’s movie. After all, it is an animated movie that was released in the school holidays with no age restriction. Imagine my surprise when at 10h15, we were bombarded by alcohol advertising. This is not an anti alcohol rant. Far be it for me to complain, as I have spent 11 good years in this industry. From my experience, I was of the understanding that it is taboo to influence minors with regard to alcohol in any way.

Roll on an advert for rum, followed by one for a desert cream liqueur, then an advert about drawing the line, followed by a Vodka and then a Whisky advert to close the alcohol section. Just as I breathed a sigh of relief, there was then a violent war scene advertising gaming on the internet. My kids eyes were swimming and questions spewed out of their mouths. They absolutely lapped it all up and it brought home how easily youngsters can be influenced.

I am not sure how you feel, but I think it is unacceptable and dangerous to advertise inappropriately. I did not pay to expose my children to that rubbish! My ire has blossomed into a complaint that the Advertising Standards Authority will be receiving later today. That will make me feel a little better. Even more exciting is the fact that my pilgrimage has already started to yield some fruit!

No comments: