Friday, January 11, 2008

I had a great chat with my financial advisor on Wednesday. We were talking about the question of when is enough enough? You may agree that this sounds like a good thing to talk to a finance dude about. We are certainly hung up on the issue of money and hence in my mind that was the key. Our life equations are out of kilter as we put our weight behind the process of making money.

My financial advisor’s thinking was rather inspired. He suggested that the issue of enough can be applied not only to money but to any other aspect of our life. He asked, by way of example, when is enough religion enough? Should we be in church daily or should it be once a week? Perhaps we only need to pray every day or perhaps once in a while is enough? These questions can be applied to every aspect of our lives and every activity that we engage in.

I think that the view in society is do what you desire. Sure we talk about balance but what does this really mean. Spending equal amounts of time on money generation, religion, family, health, etc. Is it possible to divide our lives clinically into equal segments? Reality is that the money part seems to take most of our time even if the money that we are earning is just enough to cover the bills (most jobs are 8 hours a day which is already one third of our lives). Is it possible though that our most valuable investment of time is in the other areas of our lives?

We often talk about the concept of balance and everything in moderation. I think that this is a good guiding principle. I do think that we need to look deeper within ourselves to understand what is really important. Once we understand this, we need to balance the way we spend our time to match what is of core importance to us. If this means going to church every day, then we are in balance.

Am I talking nonsense??????

2 comments:

Brad said...

What's that financial dude's number? :-)
What a good take on a blurry sort of problem! I, for example, desire loads of time to spend with my family, time with myself to both enjoy life, to learn those wonderful things, such as music, languages, art and travel but yet I desire to also have enough money to live well, have fantastic property and drive great cars. With our normal formula though the activities we need to undertake in order to satisfy these do not fit into a day because as you rightfully point out, work takes 1/3 of our lives...It seems balance might become infinetly more achievable if either I downgrade my desires or if I become more clever about what I do with that 1/3.

Mark Eames said...

Aha but you are a bright one neh! - my plan is to downgrade my desires and then work on restructuring those 8 hours! Those desires are pretty enticing and I need to work hard at this.