Friday, January 4, 2008

And something ignited in my soul,
Fever or unremembered wings,
And I went on my way,
Deciphering,
That burning fire,
And I wrote the first bare line,
Bare, without substance, pure,
Foolishness,
Pure wisdom,
Of one who knows nothing,
And suddenly I saw,
The heavens,
Unfastened,
And open.

Here is a poem called La Poessia by Pablo Neruda which I picked up in a course that I attended at UCT. And no, I did not do a course on poetry! In fact it was the first course that I have ever completed where poetry was quoted as part of the presentation. I have to say it was brilliant. What was more interesting was that the man who gave the course is a renowned mathematician who presented on complexity. Now picture this, an esteemed and highly intelligent mathematic individual presenting that being right is irrelevant! Talk about complexity! I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the argument. If we all were not as concerned about being right, think about the amount of friction that would be removed from our world……To be able to swallow your pride and accede to somebody else when you believe you are right – that takes unbelievable humility. Is it possible that we all have this ability within us?

The reason that I included this poem was not to talk maths but rather to include my inspiration as I head forth and try and write my first line. It is rather a daunting thought – my very first line! The baring of my soul to the world will be encapsulated in that line. That same line needs to be so powerful that you will be drawn in, captivated and enthralled. And it will then gently tug you onto the next line and soon you will be on a magic carpet ride filled with ideas and inspiration. Yes, my first line is going to have to be something really special.

And that line is…….yeah maybe I will write it tomorrow?

1 comment:

Brad said...

Mark! Quite insightful and inspiring!
Far be it from me to assume any right to comment, direct or offer advice on the technical nuances of penmanship but I must drop in my penny and say that your writing has certainly evolved. In reference a conversation we once had in a parking lot regarding the influences on our writing and the risk inherent in "baring your soul"...Well if writing be risky, then you have certainly grown in boldness, confidence and you are writing less like the exec and more like Mark. By that, I mean that your thoughts are less filtered, less tainted, less...less many of those restraints we inadvertently learn when we write in business. My penny says: Way to go Mark!
Now this is not intended as some early morning flatery as I probably would make a poor groupie but instead aimed at some encouragement.