Friday, January 18, 2008

In my quest to improve this blog, I spent the evening last night trawling the web for some simple insights. I tell you, I felt like a little kid learning to read for the first time. There were all sorts of words that I did not understand. I had to check that I was still reading in English. More than that was the sheer volume of information that I could look at. I am not sure that I was too successful in what I did, but I do now have a space where you can sign up for an automatic update to your inbox whenever I update this blog. Please do me a favour and try it and see if it works! You see, no faith in the system yet!!

I did discover search keywords. You may be scratching your head, you may not. A search keyword is a word that is linked to your site and as I understand it, is used by search engines to index and then find your site. Sounds pretty simple, or at least I thought it was. I then had to find out what HTML code was required and then how to insert this HTML into the code for the blog. All very ambitious projects for me! In my twaling I discovered that it is essential to have the right keywords. It is pointless to include keywords that nobody ever looks for. I then had to check out the popularity of the words that I thought described my blog.

What I found was rather unexpected. One of the words that I have used is family. Did you know that there are 7978 daily searches for the word 'family'? More interesting is that there are 7608 searches for ‘family sex’ and more than 53,000 searches for topics on 'family nudity'. 25,000 people have searched on the word ‘love’ but a whopping 4,241 people searched on ‘father makes love to daughter’. Interesting stuff about just two of the words I checked. These numbers come from a site called Wordtracker Keywords. I have included the URL at the bottom of this site for interest. HAH, do you know what URL stands for, I still dont!

I was flabbergasted to see these numbers. Did I miss something growing up? Are there that many people who indulge in family sex? Are there that many people that are confused by nudity in the home and need reassurance / stimulation? Obviously these keywords are indications of things that people want to know.

Either way this is a reflection on our society - very simply anything goes. If you are an anything goes kind of person, then you are in the wrong place, although I could hope that this blog would bore you into conservatism. For the rest of us, this is another set of things that we cannot shield our children from. As a parent, we sure do have a tough role to play to ensure that our kids grow up well adjusted and free from the social evils of society.

I will blog more on exactly how to play that parental role when I get my free wisdom download in about 100 years time! I am going to enjoy the fact that some of these socially deviant searchers are going to stumble across my conservative site in their quest for their fix due to me using these words in my blog – don’t think this will stop them though!

2 comments:

Tineke said...

ME
Inspiring to read your thoughts. Also quite green on the leaving a corporate for a better life thing....
Looking forward to your post last salary notes
Tineke

Mark Eames said...

Hi Tineke,

Thanks for your note - inspired greeness in others is most inspiring for me to keep on going (although that seems wrong).

Yeah, my post salary blues, about to being shortly! Although, another completely new experience that I am going to try and enjoy working through!