Thursday, January 17, 2008

I am amazed by the amount of admin that is involved in running a home office optimally. I took so much stuff for granted when I worked in an organisation. My office just used to work. My recent revelations have been in the IT field. This comes from somebody who has just left a role in which managing an IT Department was an element! Boy, did I not understand how much more there is to IT than the stuff that I saw.

Just like photography, there are vast amounts of knowledge that one can acquire in this field. There is no way that I could ever expect to assimilate the right knowledge to ensure that I function optimally. Functioning optimally is important. Why on earth would you want a longer route when there are options available that will save you time. To me, time is the most important resource that I have. Problem is that I only have it right now! In the business environment, I know that it pays to outsource activities that are not your core competence. Certainly in the IT field, I intend to outsource this stuff to somebody who is passionate about IT. Just with my minimal reading on things like my cell phone, laptop, and basic software, I have found so many clever and interesting ways to save me time. I certainly had no idea how we underutilise the gadgets that we have or just how powerful they are. To this point, I think that it is essential to get to grips with the basics of everything that you have. Once there I certainly will then get the passionate pro to help me leverage it all further.

My blog site is another example of simplicity, yet there is so much more that I could be doing. In my scale of how important things are, this ranks as pretty high as I am passionate about my blog. Watch this space, hopefully all of this will get a lot cleverer in time.

On a related note – there is no substitute for passion! Be passionate about everything that you do, be it cleaning the house or making dinner. I certainly believe that there are hidden rewards deep within us when we truly engage with what we dong!

No comments: