Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In all of my trawling and research of blogs, I was most inspired by the amazing and wacky photography that people have included. Keep in mind that I am still trying to understand all of the new software that I have purchased over the last couple of weeks. The idea being, take some interesting pictures and practise using the software. This was also my homework as a photographer apprentice. I have included a couple of pictures here as they are the start of my getting way out there and creative. Check out a view of my house, pasta for dinner and bug on my rocket!



Last night the moon was full and magnificent. I am privileged to have a stream that runs through my garden. Walking past it last night, I was filled with the need to try and capture the moonlight’s reflection and a bit of the foliage. I pushed aside frogs and Cape reeds and staked my claim on some river frontage space. With a bit of trepidation, I set up my tripod and camera and snapped a few shots amidst some accurate dive bombing mosquitoes. Here is my stream by moonlight, a pretty shoddy job, but interesting nonetheless!



OK, back to me now, the boring part. I had a great day yesterday. The reason was that for the period of a day, I was able to shut down my automatic need to produce something worthwhile to feel worthwhile. Instead I was able to glory in the now and enjoy the multitude of distractions that came my way. I spent my time in places that I thought valuable, on my wife and on my children. I also made some headway on editing chapter two!

The nasty reoccurring thought that continues to bother me is that I am living in a world of fiction. One side of me is keen to jump in and go and earn some money and that way I will know where I stand in the world. On the other side, I know that I am trying to build a better life and that this is going to take some time and money.

I keep thinking back to a conversation that I had with a mate of mine in Johannesburg where he asked me if I am making this move for selfish reasons (an extended holiday). Everyone I meet asks me if I am rested and relaxed after all of my time at home. Yet I am spending most of my day involved in good hard thinking work with no apparent value.

With regard to the value thought, I am surrounded by intangibles and questions. Creativity is completely intangible. How on earth do you know that you have written a good chapter? Do you just know? How do I put a cost or a value on time spent with my wife on stuff that is important to her or time spent getting down to my children’s level? I have recently made major breakthroughs in this arena, I have started to relate in a far more valuable and personal way. Will I have to give this up again at some stage?

I suppose the key issue is how on earth can I be having so much fun and still be doing the right thing? Surely the fact that I am having fun means that I am slacking off and this is to be avoided at all costs. Yet much of the fun is a new found joy in my children and my wife. I am loving being challenged by new technologies and skills. I am thoroughly revitalised by the amount of exercise that is now part of my daily life. I love my trip to work and I am starting to really enjoy writing! Is there an underlying assumption in my mind that life is not supposed to be fun? Is it actually possible to live a life that is filled with fun and joy and put food on the table? Or am I just deluding myself and having fun at the expense of the family?

My mind is a seesaw. Please do forgive me. I have never had to deal with a life lived in complete uncertainty about how I fit in. I hope that my mental debate is valuable in that it keeps me focussed on my goals and the need to ensure that within this year I am able to set up a life that is balanced just right for me.

Logically I know that the time to act is when I actually stumble across opportunity. It does not help if I stress about these things now. Rather I have a different opportunity right now and I need to make the most of it, right now. What a BONUS that it is FUN at the same time!!!

2 comments:

Tineke said...

As per before, quite inspiring! I found myself coming back to your site to uplift my spirits. Somehow you seem to be better equipped to stay upbeat and positive than most human beings.
Do not get me wrong, I am your regular positive kind of person. Well, normally in any event...

The pasta photo is outstanding!Yours?

Mark Eames said...

Hi Tineke,

I have been putting my thoughts out there for some time and I have to say I often wonder if they are valuable or not. Your feedback has certainly made me smile more broadly today and is highly appreciated. I hope to soon include some excepts from the book that I am trying to write - that should be interesting!

The pasta pic is mine - dinner the other night and a moment of madness.