Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I have decided that this year I am busy with my ME degree! Just as you select a degree that is going to enable you to ‘go further’ in life, so have I carefully selected my ME degree. The difference is that I have been able to craft my studies to best suit my needs. Unlike formal institutions I have been able to combine an eclectic mix of diverse studies that both excite and stimulate me. I am going to try to major in writing. I am also going to be taking photography, blogging and the web, Xhosa and perhaps even dancing lessons. Although dancing lessons have been included as an attempt to spend more time with the women in my life (just like university days!) Management has thankfully allowed me to repeat family 101 and I have gotten stuck into this with vigour! Achieving this degree is going to be tough as I will need to be fluent in Xhosa, able to dance, deliver a book, take awesome photographs and create some valuable community projects. I have added in some surfing and running targets to ensure that this is a well rounded educational qualification, and because they are fun things to do!

Anyone else interested in the ME degree?

Lately I have had this mental oscillation where I have been unsure where I add value in my life. I think the answer is now far clearer, I am gaining competencies in some diverse areas of my life. When opportunities arise, I hope to be in an incredible position to be able to pounce! I also hope that I will be able to select the opportunities that fall into my areas of passion and will continue to invigorate and inspire me for the rest of my life!

Talking about inspiring, I had a good day yesterday. It was a long and hard day as it was a day spent as an apprentice. It was strange in that for a change I was the chap that knew nothing about what was going down. I was also the guy who had to ask stupid questions to try and anticipate the real player’s needs. And I was the guy who just did as he was told. It was a day filled with learning and I spent it on a Top Billing Magazine food shoot. It was pretty awesome. I got to see my photography mentor in action with a client, and there sure was heaps to observe in those interactions. I got to watch how all of the players dealt with shooting under pressure and how they responded. More than all of that I got to be a fly on the wall and observe a creative process evolve, and I was enthralled.

I got asked a question yesterday that I am not sure I answered completely. I suppose the question cut to the heart of my year, what am I planning to do after this year? The simple answer is that I don’t really know but am open to possibilities where life will happen on my terms. The more complex answer is that I am going to ensure that work fits into my life and not the other way around. I want to be passionate and inspired about what I do and so I think that I will end up doing a whole multitude of different things that excite me and bring in an income. Perhaps I will do a little bit of consulting, mixed in with some wedding photography, together with some share trading. Then again perhaps some other very interesting and exciting opportunities will come my way and those will need to be tried and tested. This is certainly a year in which I intend to observe the world through new eyes and come to some dramatic new realisations. Fear not, when I know, I will be sure to let all of you know!!

Seems rather strange that I am so excited by a photo shoot but then again, I have spent far too much of my life in places and roles that have not excited me in the least. I know that my life was certainly over complicated and it is wonderful to take joy from simple things again!

No comments: