Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Today I have battling to put together a plan for my book. Did I tell you that books do not make any money in South Africa? Well, I read that they don’t. Lucky for me I have wanted to write as a kind of cleansing of my own soul. Finding out that books make minimal amounts of money did not change the need in me to write at all. As far as I am concerned, the process of writing this book is the elixir I need to enhance the value of the rest of my life. I quite like that imagery!

I thought that this task would be simple, just a couple of refinements to a plan I put together a couple of months ago. I could not have been more wrong. The old book that I had planned was all about me. Now, all 13 of the chapters I had carefully detailed will fit into 1 chapter. I am amazed to see that I have continued to grow over the last couple of months. A plan that I thought was awesome then, will be replaced by something that I think is awesome now. I hope that my updated attempt will reflect a much closer version of what I want to achieve. I also have no doubt that I will continue to refine my material as this project progresses.

As part of my preparation for this book, I have spent the last 4 months writing one to two pages a day. These pages are filled with thoughts and random useless wandering ideas. I have now spent some time going back through them and trawling them for ideas. I am thoroughly amazed not only by the experiences that I have had and the value of the thoughts that are contained in these pages but also by the sheer magnitude of them. These thoughts are to become the basis for my book. What a bonus to find that I have inadvertently captured the bulk of the clever ideas that I will need. Now I just have to find an amazing, humerous and inspiring way to put them all together! I think I have a bit of work to do…..

No comments: