Monday, January 14, 2008

Birds were starting to chirp, dogs were yawning and cats were just thinking about doing that long slinky stretch manoeuvre, where they flex even their claws. I think I heard a rooster crowing but he must have been clearing his throat in preparation for the real thing. Light was just starting to seep into the world and my son was awake and dressed in his brand new school uniform. Today is the first day of his school life and he was a little excited!

Last night we asked him about his expectations for the day. Wearing his uniform ranked at the top of the list followed very closely by seeing his mates. I think that he was just glad to escape the boredom brought on by these endless school holidays (or is that me?). Either way, there was no nervousness or tears. Tell you the truth, from all of the 1st school day media reporting, I thought that the majority of children cried. Certainly not the case at school this morning, I think that the only moist eyes were those of parents.

What struck me, apart from the magnitude of the day in my son’s life, was that there were plenty of men at school. So many dads had taken the time to be a part of this occasion. And yes, this is a small thing yet massive in our children’s lives. For me, I was there! I had actually made my first appearance at a special occasion in my son’s life. Had I been in my old job, I would have missed the event as I would have been on a plane to Johannesburg for a mission critical meeting this morning (as they all are!). Instead my replacement was on the plane and I was doing what a good dad should be doing! Hopefully the first event of many that I will not have VERY good excuses to miss.

To the dads who made the effort – viva! To all the children who start their new life this week – I say long may this euphoria about learning last!



No comments: