Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I spent the day yesterday looking at my book plan in horror. I could not fathom how I could spend the next couple of months beavering away at sublime wordiness when I was not inspired at all. Sure, as I shared yesterday, I have at long last captured the essence. Yesterday I was most troubled because I did not know how best to convey that message. My horror turned into some inspired thinking and I have now completely restructured the book plan. It now has a flow and makes sense to me. I can see how somebody else could possibly read it and get some real value. The result is that this morning I have already created some 3000 words in a row that almost make sense. A breakthrough!

On the photography front I have been going through heaps of tutorials in order to increase my skills and abilities. Man, there is so much to learn. At least I am keen and eager to learn as much as possible and suck the vast knowledge resources dry. The problem with learning this skill is that there is such a vast array of knowledge out there and one feels rather overwhelmed before you start. I am very lucky to have a mentor in the photography game who has taken a real interest in me. The only problem is that he keeps giving me homework!!! I thought that I would be able to assist in some way or another as an apprentice but right now this is not really the case. I don’t have any real skills that he can use apart from packing boxes and burning DVD’s. Both of which are highly fascinating and scintillating activities! What has been awesome is that he has still taken me on even though there is no value that I can add to him or his business. In fact I get in the way and slow him down due to my incessant and childlike questions.

For me this speaks to goodness. There are so many ways that you and I can go out of our way in order to help others. I think that if we are honest, there is always a cost to us but the benefit to the other person is immense and far outweighs that cost. Society today frowns on anyone who lets another get away with something and yet this is the very heart of charity. Do we provide our children with the example of a self centred approach to the world or do we let them learn from our examples of love in action? I think that it will be example of love that will bear the most fruit, assuming that you want your children to grow up to be compassionate, charitable, and useful members of this world.

No comments: