Thursday, October 18, 2007

There is an ad on TV at the moment that caused me to sit up and listen. The payoff line is :
‘We all want different things because we are all different’. What a lovely advertising claptrap line BUT I do think that there is a serious element of truth here. Here I am waxing lyrical about my way being the right way to deal with your life – take it by the scruff of the neck and shake it all about. Yet not everyone thinks the same way as I do. Not everyone has the same priorities as I do. This was a key insight for me. It amazes me that I have spent 2 years thinking hard and deep about life and yet I still am learning some very simple things.

This life must be about balance. People talk about this all of the time yet I do not think that we have any idea about balance. I believe balance must be dictated by my priorities in life. My first pass at my priorities are :

v My family,
v my spirituality,
v freedom to manage my time.
v job satisfaction,
v fulfillment in that I am adding something back,
v fitness,
v enough money to cover the costs,

Looking at my life; I have very little family time, I battle to relate to my family when I do have the time, my spirituality is mostly neglected, I have zero job satisfaction and I have nothing in my life that creates a deep fulfillment. Obviously there is huge reason to change my life in a big way. Talking about balance – in the past I thought that I was managing the balance BUT when I examined my priorities and compared to what I actually had, the differences are vast. I did have money, power, a high flying lifestyle and respect. None of these things feature in my list of priorities and yet this is what I have been trying to balance with the stuff that I find important in my life. No wonder I was not getting it right at all!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mark,

You've certainly taken a bold leap of faith to do what you feel in your gut is more where it's at. Kudos to you and I am sure that by aligning yourself with what makes greater sense you will find yourself supported by the universe. Sounds like your book could be great. What is the rough outline or areas you want input on? Is it around these kind of paradigm leaps which more and more people seem to be making?

The priorities you list and how they might be achieved feel very relevant. I have been wondering what kind of shifts we need to make in our communities and workplaces to support balance?

As a tool to support your journey, I recommend the Awakening Intuition website http://www.awakening-intuition.com/. Loads of articles and material to stimulate more thought.

Nice chatting!
Kirsten

Mark Eames said...

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for your comments - I was most excited to get my FIRST ever comment on my blog - yehah!!!

I shall be checking out the awakening website - thanks for the tip!

My book is to be about the dilema that I have faced for the last 2 years - a choice between career and family. I don't think that I am alone and the choice is tough as society only approves of the former!! It may be a book that I write for myself - a kind of purging of the soul that will then help me refocus my life in a way that makes it worthwhile.