Monday, October 22, 2007

So here I am again on another plane on my way to JHB. This is a part of my job that I dislike intensely. There is only one positive – people you tell about all of your plane travel seem mighty impressed. I am now ready to trade all of this pointless travel for a chair on wheels. One other positive is that I try and make every trip count by visiting family and friends wherever I go. This is fantastic and allows me to see so many people all over the place. Bottom line, I still ache for my own wife and children! I would far rather share these visits to all our friends and family with my family. I suppose you do what you have to do – grin and bear it. Tonight I will join a mate and all of his friends for a poker evening. It should be fun but then again so would a cricket game in front of my garage followed by a family dinner and story time!

What an interesting day! I thought that it would surely be a boring and wasteful one and yet it has given me some great hope! I am back on a plane again – flying back to Cape Town. Should be home late on a Friday night. Back to my day. I joined a national workshop today that debated a whole heap of the implementation issues. The exciting thing is even though I have resigned and I have no emotional attachment to the outcome of this project, I was still able to add value. I am still able to operate and think and I am actually pretty good at this stuff. Don't get me wrong – no major insights provided by me or project changing advice. More importantly I could contribute and could think about all of the issues.

Sitting on a plane is pretty cramped. It does not really lend itself to typing. I suppose that you cannot have everything. Is that also true in life – that we need to choose, as most of us cannot have everything? Perhaps we can have everything, we just need to be clear on what we want. For me I would be very happy to have all of my priorities met. Would that make me happy or would I still want more. When do we stop wanting more and more and decide to be happy with what we have and the moment that we are in. Is this purely a mental space or is this an existence in reality (i.e. we have stuff therefore we are happy)?

No comments: