Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I had a great dinner last night with some people in East London. They were amazed by my decision to leave the corporate world (whilst on a good wicket) and take a rather different path. We had some awesome conversations about all sorts of things. This seems to be happening a lot lately – lots of people seem very happy to have deep philosophical conversations and yet this is something that I have not engaged in at all previously. Was I asleep and living in a world that was real and yet so superficial?

It was great to hear people telling me that this change that I am making is commendable. The thing is it is only commendable if I make it worthwhile. If I am unable to be an amazing father and husband then I have failed. If I am unable to spend time working with the needy, then I have failed. If I am unable to build a new income stream and have to return to the corporate ladder, then sadly I would have failed! This assumes that we have enough to live on and that the focus on income generation is then about excess. This now becomes an interesting debate – how much is enough? What is excess? How am I going to know and how am I going to divide my time to generating enough income and then family and community? How much risk would be too much risk for my family? I have so many questions…..I am sure that in time I will find answers.

No comments: