Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I read a book a little while ago that contained a beautiful definition of humility. As far as I can remember it defined it as the absence of the need to compare and compete. I thought that this was pretty neat!

I have tried to apply it in my own life with great difficulty. My only conclusion is that true humility is indeed rare to find. I like to compete; I like to be better than other people. If I am not better, I find some great excuse as to why I should be better. I like win even more than I like competing. Winning is fun. It is filled with glory and satisfaction.

I even enjoy watching my sons winning. Watching my oldest play sport has certainly brought home the fact that we train our children from the youngest possible age to compete. Throughout school we ensure that our children compete against each other academically, then on the school sports field and if we are really eager, in some extra mural activities. And once our kids leave school, they will need to compete for place in a tertiary education institution and then for a job. Once they have a job they will compete for better jobs and projects. But that is never enough and so to show how well they compete they will aspire to better houses and fancier cars and slick toys.

I suppose, just like most of us!

And if we are to be truly human we need to be humble. To be moved to compassion by the plight of the common man and actually do something about it. Humility must be the complete antitheses of this individualistic and ego driven lifestyle that is the norm today. It does not seem to have a place in our world today.

Imagine if you and I were just people and both of us thought that the others needs were more important than our own. What an interesting place the world might be?

No comments: