Monday, May 26, 2008

Thabo Mbeki told us all that we should be ashamed about this wave of Xenophobia. Although I think that this is aimed at those perpetrating the attacks, I am ashamed. I understand that South Africans are upset to see foreigners in jobs when they sit at home, idle. I also understand that government has failed the vast majority of the people that elected it. But this is barbaric!

On the other side it is great to see the community spirit that has developed as people band together to help all of those who have been booted out of their homes. In my idyllic part of the world, thousands of people are camped out in church halls, warehouses, garages and people’s homes. It smacks of a biblical response as normal people reach out and cloth, feed and shelter these people in need.

I am not sure how this is all going to end. It is all very well to say, we are sorry and all is well where you live, please go back. If I was a foreigner and had been forced to flee my home, would I be comfortable going back at all? I am sad that we have not seen South Africans living in the same areas standing up and saying, don’t worry, we will protect you – come on back! You can almost see why foreign communities tend to stick together, think of Italians in Brooklyn and South Africans in Sydney, because there is safety in numbers.

I am encouraged by the on the ground response to this crisis, that makes me proud to be a South African. For the rest I hang my head in shame.

I propose a new national anthem – an old Depeche mode song, off the once banned 101 album:

People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully
So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I never even met you
So what could I have done
I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully
Help me understand
Now you're punching and you're kicking
And you're shouting at me
I'm relying on your common decency
So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist
I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ashamed this has happened in Africa, I am even more ashamed that this these are the working's of South African's - but what breaks my heart is that our government stays silence (Even the anc and ancyl have appealed for calm - but not the government)

Mark Eames said...

Too true - hopefully when everyone wakes up, we will realise that there is a fair deal of urgency required in solving many issues in our country!