Friday, May 9, 2008

It has been an incredible week. It started off on Sunday, assuming that Sunday is the start of the week, with surfing excitement. I scored my first barrel of my surfing career. Four years of toil and effort in the sea was rewarded with the ultimate prize, a couple of split seconds swallowed up inside the belly of a wave before bursting forth through the curtain like a hero. My second wave of the day was fantastic too until I got to the beach to see how my son was doing. And before you get worried, another friend of mine was watching over him while he played on the beach. Only to discover that he had had an accident was now sitting with copious amounts of blood spilled on the pavement and his thumb split right down the middle. Ahem, it was time to join the crowds of holiday makers returning home after the long weekend and rush him to the Medi-Clinic. Seven stitches later and a good dose of morphine administered directly up the nose and my son was high as a kite and relaxed about his ordeal. Note to myself, must remember that morphine trick in future! Since then he has become a cult hero at school even though he missed his first rugby match. What a stud.

I followed up that incredible very short surf session with three terribly poor sessions through this week. I was really bad in the water, and yet the good guys out there with me were ripping it apart. Another note to self; get me act together!

Tuesday was a little windy and one of our trees decided to throw off its branches and roof tiles decided that they would rather fly. Luckily the roof and the grass decided they wanted to stay put. Who needs gym when you can spend a day sawing and chopping a tree into little pieces, that was fun.

Wednesday, yawn, was pretty boring, just a whole lot of writing, exactly what I wanted to be doing for the day. I expected the same to happen for the rest of the week, but instead I got it into my head that I needed to prepare for an upcoming photograph shoot of nursery school children. I lacked a way to use my flash off camera and I needed to solve this before the shoot. I walked Long Street twice yesterday, and it is called Long Street for good reason. I had been told that there were good second hand camera shops that would be able to help me at considerably less than the many many thousands required for a professional solution. I found some bits and pieces which together with a bit of ingenuity resulted in a semi elegant working solution for a total cost of R35. Score one for the little cheap guy!!

Today I am writing. I cannot believe that I have all of this time to write and yet have no time to write. This time thing is a most elusive concept. We all have 24 hours of it to spend every day and yet some seem to get so much more value for theirs. If I measure my value against my book progress, then I have dismal results to show. It just seems so much more exciting to do anything but write. I could just be terrified of writing!

But I am gonna write!

No comments: