Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My book plan is working!

I sat in church on Sunday and gave some good thought to my lack of progress. I came to the conclusion that I have not been focussed on my new job as a writer. Instead of writing I do absolutely anything else that needs doing. Maintenance around the house is done, the vegetable garden is doing great, all my admin is done, and my other interests are all taken care of. My writing has very slowly ground its way along.

On Monday morning I put some dates to my book plan. I now know that if I work at this book, I can finish it by the end of June. Now that you all know my deadline, I am going to have to work even harder to stick to it! I have also resolved that mornings are for writing and nothing else. Although I did spend the rest of Monday morning surfing on long boards at Muizenberg with a good mate of mine.....Hmmmm

OK since then I have written like a champion. I had set myself a target of rechecking the first 6 chapters, rewriting the seventh chapter, starting and finishing the eighth chapter and editing the ninth. A pretty steep target for someone who has only really got six chapters to show for five months work! This dof writer also got his first week of the timeline wrong and did not want to correct his penned changes to the plan!

The good news is that I have managed to do all of that. The hardest part was chapter eight as this is a serious chapter on time. It took me one day, today! All thanks to the power of the subconscious mind. Yesterday I sat and created a chapter plan for the chapter I was rewriting and this chapter on time. I was dreading this serious chapter. This morning I sat down and churned out 5000 words. They just flowed, I could not stop! I later looked at my high level chapter plan and it was a blueprint for what I had written. I can’t wait to try out the same technique on other chapters!! Tomorrow I get to edit this new chapter and see if it is what I wanted. I sure hope so!

Nothing like a personal slap on the wrist to add some spring in my typing!

No comments: