Monday, November 5, 2007

I had a great weekend away with my wife as a celebration of our marriage. We went to Hermanus and spent most of our time watching the whales at play. We also got up to some other interesting stuff, like browsing in a bookshop and ambling aimlessly around town. All very non child friendly activities but great for complete relaxation. My time spent in a bookstore was most interesting as I learnt something very important. I am NOT a philosopher at all. I keep telling people that I am going to write a non fiction book that will include some of my deep philosophical thoughts. I picked up a book titled 50 Philosophical Ideas You Really Need to Know by Ben Dupre. It is a far left field book, certainly in my mind. Theory number 1 was about a brain in a vat – i.e. are we really real (and what proof do we have that there is not a bigger being creating this fantasy that we call life) – much like the matrix. I found it to be fascinating reading for a non student of this art. What I did discover is that the author has an awesome pedigree and writes with amazing confidence and authority about his subject. This is something that I don’t really have – there is no right answer to life and yet I am going to need to write with the same passion. I suppose that there is a parallel here, life like philosophy has no right answer and if it is possible to write philosophically with authority then it must be possible to write about life in the same manner. Wow do I have so much to learn – what an exciting journey.

PS : The weekend was not great, it was AWESOME!!

No comments: