Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I am sitting in my new office typing away merrily, filled with a different kind of inspiration. The air conditioning is assisted by a sultry breeze out of the south, gently chilling the air. The view is spectacular, hills have carved their way into the landscape and waves crash with abandon. Waves you ask? Yes, thundering waves rolling around the point off Victoria Bay. Vic Bay is a tiny, beautiful little place nestled on the coast just outside of George. Me thinks my office should always be here – it is magnificent and provides food for the soul. I am certainly tempted to be in the surf riding the backs of these beasts. Then again I am enjoying the soulfulness and majesty of the place and soaking it all up.

I need to quote again from Thomas Moore – he talks about the need for myth, ritual and spiritual life in terms of the nourishment of the soul.

“If we could grasp this simple idea, that some actions may not have an effect on actual life but speak instead to the soul, and if we could let go of the dominant role of function in so many things that we do, then we might give more to the soul every day.”

I have always been on the other extreme, a man on a mission! I like to know what I am doing and why. I have boundless energy and yet I do not like to waste it on any useless exercises. I like to be focused, there can be not a second wasted on frivolous activity! This was the old me. I have started to feel the benefit of just being. By this I mean, just enjoying browsing in a book store, or watching whales in the sea, or soaking up the special atmosphere of Vic Bay. These are things that are I have started to do without purpose, yet their very purpose is to care for me in a way that I have yet to understand. Bring on this new year – I intend to live a life filled with moments that are deep and pleasing because they help me become, well more me!

2 comments:

Editor said...

Hi Mark,
The last line of your post resonated with me because I'm reading On Becoming a Person by psychotherapist Carl Rogers. He explores the characteristics of effective therapy and the attributes of a "good life." He describes helping someone become a authentic person through the therapist/ client relationship, although he acknowledges this process isn't available only through therapy. He talks about common characterists shared by people becoming who they really are.

Thomas Moore read Rogers to help his relationships with students and to create a convivial classroom environment in which students felt accepted, relaxed, received and able to explore topics. Moore's writings touch on the authentic self and the eccentricities associated with being one's real self. He also reads the Tao Te Ching and Rogers quoted a passage, saying, "The way to do, is to be."

Good luck with becoming more of who you are.

Mark Eames said...

Hiya Ed,

Thanks for your encouragement - it is most pleasing! You are a veritable mine of information on Moore - how come that is so?

Check out today's blog - I have once again quoted Moore - man I have really enjoyed this book!

It is amazing how important the timing of a well written book or conversation is. If it comes at exactly the right time, it is filled with life and challenges and speaks volumes!!