Thursday, November 22, 2007

There are heaps of opinions in this world. I was browsing Facebook and got a little lost. This little application can literally eat up your time. I was looking at some of the groups within Facebook and stumbled on a group “Jesus is Good” or something of that nature. It had heaps of members and so I thought, “let me check it out”. I was amazed to see that the first article that had been posted there was entitled “Should Christians celebrate Christmas”. Reading this, I was intrigued, who else should be celebrating Christmas if not Christians? The article was an interesting opinion supported by numerous bible references that Christmas is a pagan feast and that by celebrating it, in some way or another we break all 10 commandments. The article really blew me away. I appreciate that the world as a whole has converted Christmas into a commercial feast and that for most, it is about getting something that you want. A general rule that can be applied to the group often does not apply to the members. My own personal experience of Christmas is that it is a wonderful spiritual, family and love filled event.

The point of this monologue is that everyone out there has an opinion on just about everything. This was a particular interesting insight for me as the subject seemed to be completely improbable. I am about to start a new group on Facebook – People against spurious insights! Then again, if I am objective, this is an aggressive response to something that I do not agree with. The net has created amazing opportunities so that anyone can express their opinion and this is a thing to be welcomed. I imagine that with this Freedom comes great responsibility in that we need to ensure that the opinions and thoughts we place in society (much like this blog) do not amount to dangerous propaganda or harmful speech. Please make yourself heard if you do not like what I am writing! I will not target you in my new group – People against spurious insight (promise). Onto something more interesting….

I was thinking about my oldest son on the way to work this morning. He has a big play at school tonight and is most excited. He has been practicing for ages and had a full dress rehearsal in front of the whole school the other day. He came home and told us that he got stage fright and forgot his lines. Stage Fright for a 6 year old – that is an interesting concept!

You have now met the characters of this plot; a little child who is growing and experiencing and really learning about life; and me the dad, a strange and bizarre character. I was wondering what I say to him or what I do to unburden his mind that he will not fail in the same way again. I suppose that this is a common parenting thought – let me prevent my child from failing. What do I do or say to him so that he knows that whatever happens, it is OK. More than that is there anything that I can say to him that will encourage him to be the best that he can be? Do I have the power within me to help him both learn and grow and maximize this experience at the same time, or would I just be meddling with his normal learning process. In the end I will probably tell him that I love him and that he needs to go out and have fun – enjoy the experience just because it is so different and so unusual. I could tell him that when he puts on his stage makeup and goes out there he is a different person – he is hidden behind a mask and can be who he wants to be. I could also tell him to imagine the audience naked, although I think this will result in fits of giggles. As a parent, these are the things that should concern us – how do we make every single experience of our children’s lives, experiences of joy and learning?

There can be no doubt though, every parent will have their own opinion on how best to raise children. Perhaps this is another group that we can create on Facebook.......

No comments: