Monday, January 31, 2011

To do it or not to do it?

My trip to Johannesburg was interesting on many levels. Normally one goes on a trip for a single reason, not this one! I got to sup with good mates, run with the father of my Godchildren, put in a day of work, meet Aki, check out a car I have had my beady eye on, and wait around for my flight which was delayed by 4 hours.


OK, so I did not choose the last part!

At dinner on the first night, I met a good mate of the good mates with which I was dining. Yes, I know it sounds complicated, but it really isn’t! Whilst chewing on some ‘melt in your mouth’ calamari, he asked for our opinion on his indecent proposal. Obviously our ears pricked up and we paid a little more attention.

A lady friend of his had asked him to donate some time and his sperm so that she could produce a child. It was apparent that her biological clock was ticking very loudly. Not surprisingly, he was flattered by the proposal. His thinking was that as she was a good friend, it would be better for him to donate sperm that she scrape the barrel at the sperm bank. I suspect that he was also looking forward to making the donation in person, if you know what I mean.

Unfortunately he asked for my opinion...

I kindly explained that I was incredible pro the fatherhood movement, whatever that may be. In other words, children both need and deserve to have an active father in their lives. I sincerely believe that children with involved parents have a far greater chance of growing up into good and value adding adults, than those without.

I could not imagine having a child in this world and not being able to be a father. To know that your own child, your flesh and blood, walked the earth; and did not even know you existed.

How sad it is that we have come to a point where having a child can be an arrangement in convenience and selfishness. And then to put a good friend in a situation where they actually have to make this decision.

I am not sure that he will be calling me for a follow up chat!!

No comments: