Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Being human

Following on from my last post...

Was sitting at the dentist this morning, waiting and waiting. It was good to be able to sit and think and pray.

The day before yesterday I realised that I cannot focus on my needs and my kids needs at the same time, and expect that all needs will be met in the best possible way. Something has to give, and my role as a parent is to ensure that my needs are sacrificed in order to give my children my best.

This concept does not just hold true for parents and children, but for all relationships that we have. It got me to thinking about the things that I believe are important in my life versus the needs of those around me. And the fine balance that exists between the two.

And the tendancy I have to always err on the side of my needs. Surely if I really want to be a better person, I need to more aggressively look after the needs of others...

No comments: