Monday, January 10, 2011

Jordy flying high



I had a big chance to really impact on my children’s lives yesterday, and I think I got it all wrong.


Jordy Smith, the number two surfer in the world, gathered a couple of his friends and put on a tow in aerial surfing display at Camps Bay. I thought it would be a really cool event to get some great photographs, and show my children something incredible. Jordy, for those that do not know, is a South African!

It started at 19h00 and ended around 22h00, a late night for my boys! The beach was absolutely packed, cameras bulged everywhere, and the sea lamely burped up a tame one foot high shore break. Somebody dropped a camera lens and it was sneakily removed by the sea; it will never be the same again!

The surfing manoeuvres were sublimely ridiculous, with surfers boosting 6 foot into the air and landing again in less than knee high water. It was incredible to see, and the show did not disappoint, regardless of the lack of swell.

My kids struggled with the late night, our lack of dinner preparations, and the crowds of people. I on the other hand was struggling with my camera, working the lighting, the background, the crowds, and the action. As it got dark, my big flash failed to work, which was rather annoying.

I packed away my camera and then only got busy with the issues of making the event fun for my boys. It was probably a bit too late. We went in search of dinner and after walking for a kilometre through thousands of revellers, we settled for the only thing available; ice cream! It was a beautiful evening and Camps Bay was rocking.

We made it back to the beach to see Jordy attacking the waves again, finishing the night with an incredible Superman.

In all, the evening was too late, too crowded, and too hungry for my boys, but jam packed with the spirit of adventure. They had heaps of fun and certainly had their eyes opened!

Before falling into bed, it occurred to me that the business of being a great dad and my photography do not mix very easily. Instead, both pursuits were only half what they could have been, which was a little sad!
Next time, family first!





No comments: