Friday, July 31, 2009

Building for the Future

This week has all been about DIY – having another baby will do that to one!

My list is far shorter than at the start of the week but still substantial. My hands are raw and blistered, my ankle is swollen, and my body aches. Well actually the ankle is as a result of yet another skateboarding accident. This time I almost pulled off a new move, then managed to safely disentangle myself from the crash that should have followed, only to be hit on the ankle bone by a flying skateboard. Grrrr.

Apart from the DIY on the home front, my business partner and I, took the opportunity of some business down time to do some of our own kind of community work. I thoroughly enjoy building jungle gyms and there seem to be no shortage of these things that have been donated to crèche’s in underprivileged areas. The only problem is that nobody can figure out how to put them up again.

Somehow I have managed to rope Brad into this world of poles, threaded bolts, and manual labour. I love being presented with a hopeless heap of poles that bears no resemblance to its former glory, and using imagination to create something new and challenging!

Here is the before and after effort from this week. The picture in the middle shows the strength of our build, able to support the antics of both Brad and the school principle Phelisa!



DIY gives me so much personal satisfaction, something to do with delivering something that works or just looks better. As for jungle gyms, Brad and I have erected many together and hopefully they will ensure generations of smiles!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Stunning work, Dad

AngelConradie said...

Oh how awesome is that!!??! I am so impressed by your actually getting up and DOING something!