Sunday, July 19, 2009

Away from Home

I have been away for the last week. Sunning myself in Southern Sudan! Internet connections are not, should I say, prolific! This post comes to you out of Entebbe in Uganda.

Being away makes me think about the home that I miss so much. So many men relish the chance to get away from home and everything there. I have seen plenty of the ‘what happens on tour, stays on tour’ philosophy as individuals away from home lose their values and morals and do as they please. And they call that freedom....

I must be a strange guy, well actually I am. But I cannot wait to get back home and be reunited with my family, even though it has only been a week away. The living conditions are not tough in Sudan, rather my time here is filled with work. A little loneliness creeps in every once in a while. I would far rather be laughing with my wife instead of sharing sound bytes with strangers over a beer. Just being together and reading our books would be fun! To hear the noisy antics of my children, ruffle their hair, find a lesson in some or other disappointment, stuff I take for granted. I just miss being part of my family.

Home is where I belong. I have been so blessed that my entire life now revolves around home. Even sitting here so far away, I get to appreciate it so much more.

No comments: