Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thinking Forward

Most of us will in our lifetimes sit back and think, who would have thought?

Africa as a travel destination has never really interested me much. For some or other reason, I am more a snow bunny, give me -27 degrees Celsius and heaps of snow and I am happy! A useless passion when one lives in sunny South Africa! Yet just this year, I have visited about 10 odd African countries, some more than once. But all of them remote and hardly likely to be on anyone’s must do list.

These visits have been filled with interesting experiences. Saturday afternoon brought another of those, a run with a group of people called a Hash! I was most surprised to find more than 50 people from all the corners of the earth, pitching up at a brewery in Southern Sudan to go for a run. This Hash is one of many throughout the world with a complete set of traditions that predate World War II. The leaders had gone to immense effort to map out a course that ensured the faster runners ran fast and always ended up back with the group, through double backs, dead ends, and group viewing points. It was rather a marvellous way to make a lot of new friends, sing silly songs, and do my favourite, drink some great beer!

I have no idea what I am doing out here in Africa. Our business is growing in leaps and bounds, and that is highly rewarding, and useful! I have yet to find my groove though. I am sure I am on the way somewhere and that in time, it will become clear. I know that I have the most wonderful family that support me wholeheartedly. I am also deeply loved and have much love to give, but how...

I have no doubt that the invaluable experience gained over the last 18 months is preparing me for something very interesting. I seem to have matured in that the destination is no longer all consuming, instead I am finding contentment on the path. Still far to go on the maturity score though! And one day when I look back on a hot afternoon of contemplation in a remote and obscure part of Africa, it will just be part of the natural progression to where I have ended up!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Now that you've done Africa, you should visit South Africa.

Mark Eames said...

Ah, I do so love travelling in South Africa - it is one incredible country!