Monday, December 31, 2007

Tonight is the end of the year as we know it. It is really fitting that I have been able to complete my business plan for my life this morning AND have it approved by management here at home. Lucky for me, my wife found the plan to be quite acceptable! I suppose that the planning is the easy part of the deal, the hard part is to ensure that all is implemented. Perhaps I should not refer to it as the hard part, surely this is going to be the fun and interesting part. The part that is going to keep me on my toes and thinking hard. It is certainly the part that is going to teach me a number of hard lessons. I really am looking forward to it all. I hope that one day when I look back on my life (God willing), I will be able to say that I gave it my best shot!

The new life plan is a very interesting document. I have been able to plan my entire life in the way that I want it to happen. Obviously I have factored in a couple of things that cannot change (like where we want the kids to go to school, etc.). Apart from this, the rest is the way I want it to be. I can’t help thinking again how blessed I am to be able to make those kinds of decisions with the very real possibility that it may all turn out better than I expect.

One of the aspects that I am going to have to deal with, is that the job of a self employed businessman (and I use this term loosely as I have not brought in a cent yet) has no boundaries. There are NO limits except for the limits that I impose of my self. I have always been, to use a clichéd term, a “go getter”. I now need to find some sort of feedback mechanism that will tell me when enough is enough. In my old job, that was easy, I had agreed my deliverables with my boss and worked towards them. Now, I am that boss that agrees those deliverables and the employee who needs to attain them. Chances are that I am going to push far too hard. I think more than ever I am going to rely on my friends and family as that feedback mechanism. Certainly my wife is going to continue being the core of my support and let me know when enough is enough. On the other hand, I have no doubt that she will let me know if I am lazing around!!

Whatever happens in this new year, it is going to be a phenomenal learning experience for me. I relish the challenge and look forward to some new and fantastic experiences. I wish you and your family much success, love and laughter in the year ahead!

No comments: