Monday, December 24, 2007

I found last week incredibly difficult. I was busy beyond belief and yet I achieved very little in my life. I am not sure if I did not realise the extent of things that just needed to be done. I certainly didn’t manage to rest and relax or to make any progress in my preparation for next year. I have this notion in my head that I have to be 100% ready to start my new life on January 2. Right now, I am thinking that this is an idea that I may have to change. I need to start this whole new life when I am ready. By ready, I mean physically, mentally and emotionally. This point was driven home on the physical side when I went out surfing on Thursday and Friday. What a wonderful feeling to be at one with nature, expressing myself in a sport that I thoroughly enjoy! For me, that was the start of my holiday. I have this whole new life ahead of me, it is pointless to rush in when tired and unprepared. This is my Christmas present to myself. To Dad, “take a real break”, from dad!

On the good side, I have managed to erect Santa’s butt and our Christmas lights around the house. If you are wondering, Santa gets stuck down our chimney every year and so all that one sees in passing are Santa’s chubby buns and legs sticking out of our chimney. This morning I have managed to ice the Christmas cake and cook a gammon. I can well assure you that the sumptuous smells pouring out of my Weber are heavenly!

I find the fact that I have not managed to take charge of my life yet rather disappointing. As I sit here and type, I have realised that I am still the luckiest guy around. I am surrounded by loving family, amazing food in my kitchen and a solid roof over my head. Some may never have any of these wonderful gifts and yet they are still filled with joy in this season. I consider myself fully berated!

How often do we get wrapped up in our own petty little worlds filled with petty little issues? Is it not time that we thought and did something about other people’s worlds of real issues?

I wish you a blessed Christmas, may it be filled with charity, love and family!

No comments: