Friday, December 21, 2007

My administrator in my old job, a previous life I dimly remember, gave me a book before I left. The book is titled “Get your book published in 30 relatively easy steps” by Basil van Rooyen.The book is a wonderful step by step guide on how to get moving (book wise that is). Happily, I have been through a number of the steps. One thing that the book has confirmed is that publishing this book is not going to make me any money. Very simply, the book readership within SA is tiny and chances of my book being published overseas are slim.

What the book has done for me is confirmed that I am writing this book as a labour of love. I am writing it because I think that I have a story to tell and a challenge to put all those hard working family members out there. This has now clearly put my life into perspective. I am not going to be able to write a book in 4 months. OK, that isn’t true, I am not going to write a good book in 4 months or even 6 months for that matter. If it is to be a labour of love, this is not something that should be rushed or a goal that needs to be checked off a list. This is about carefully crafting an inspirational challenge to all working people to re-look their lives and ensure that the choices they have made and continue to make are in line with what they deem is worthwhile in life. I am OK with the fact that I may be writing as a tonic for my own soul. I still have no idea if I can write but I intend to find out if the following idiom applies to me or not :

“There is a book in everyone, most people should leave it there!”

Yesterday, I had an old colleague come around and look at all of my computers. The goals were to create a mini network and solve a myriad of IT problems. There was a time in my life when I was the IT guru at work. Now, many years later, technology and software have long left me in their dust. This point was sincerely driven home as this colleague of mine calmly and methodically resolved all of the issues that have plagued my wife and I for so long. Something else that was shattered yesterday is the illusion that I now have lots of time to master all sorts of things that interest me. I may have heaps of time, but I do not have THAT much that I can learn everything out there. There are some things that are best left to the experts and I need to ensure that the things I tackle are the things that I thoroughly enjoy.

This chap is filled with a deep IT knowledge that he has spent a lifetime accumulating. This is his passion and it shows! It is very clear that I too need to focus on my passions and the results will also shine on through!

No comments: