Monday, December 17, 2007

There are a whole host of voices in my head. All of them are shouting at me and waving their arms, like a bunch of school kids wanting to get picked for a soccer game. It is very noisy in here, a throbbing, clashing, pulsating cacophony. Many of these voices I have not heard before, they must be the new kids. Perhaps they are not new at all and rather they have just been let out of a padded cell. The voices are thunderous. They all promise me that I can do the most amazing things is I but listen to them. Some promise me money and power, other adulation, and still some others self sacrifice and hardship.Who to pick, that loud one over there, or this bright skinny one over here? Perhaps that shy child in the corner? So many choices… I must pick the right ones if I want to win!

I am in the most awesome place at the moment. I am free! I imagine that this is more of a mental state than a physical one. There are still children to look after, a wife to support and a household to run. This is not just me on the run from my responsibilities. No, this is me free from any thoughts and controls that are not mine. I get to decide what I am going to do and where I go. I am euphoric and wonder if there is any way that this can get any better. I also wonder how my mental state will change as I gradually slip back into reality. For once the priorities of my family come first and I get to make sure that this happens. How exactly I am not sure, but in time, I have no doubt I will discover.

In the end, I am just a simple guy. I don’t have all of the answers and I am far from being wise in the ways of the world. Deep inside, I know that I need to draw on the inspiration of my God and listen to those voices that are perhaps quieter than the others and certainly less appealing if I want to make my life truly worthwhile.

2 comments:

Eddie du Plessis said...

Hi Mark,

I respect you a lot for the decision you have made , it takes a lot of courage and not too many people will take this step!
You will be missed at the SAB family but I hope that the voices will lead you to a happy and successful place...

Merry X-mas to you,Donna and the kids and I hope you will have a great 2008!!

See you sometime next year for a cold one...

Cheers
Eddie

Mark Eames said...

Hi Buddy,

Thanks for the comments - most appreciated - still must work out which are the good voices (apart from the one that keeps on saying walk towards the light!!!!)

I look forward to the cold one's!!

All the best to you and your family in the new year.