Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Insight from an 11 year old

Last night was Judo night again and I was not looking forward to it. My body is still recovering from last weeks exercise festival. I am sure me bod requires a bit of rest, but I find resting more than a little difficult.

Thankfully I had a meeting at the same time as Judo and arrived at the end of the session. Sensei still got me involved in the last few exercises even though I was in my normal clothes. After the session, a boy of about 11 came up to me. He said, and I quote, ’It is really cool that you do Judo with your sons’. I said something completely inappropriate like I wish you would tell my sons the same thing.

He ignored that and went on to say, “my dad is too busy!”

Ouch!

I have certainly wondered over the last almost two years about whether I have done the right thing to embark on this path of finding a better way. If ever there was a sign post along the way saying keep on going, this kid was certainly it! I am not sure that my boys have the same level of appreciation as expressed by this child, but then again the value is in being there not in my boy’s knowledge that I am there.

This child, less than a third of my age, made me feel exhilarated and horribly sad. My boys get the benefit of a full time dad but what about all of those other boys just longing for time and attention in their lives. How do I make a difference in their lives? How do I make them feel special too? How do I get men to realise that the business of making money is but a single element of all that life has to offer? How do I get men to realise that depth is measured by love and not wallet size?

Funny that a comment made by a young kid can be so insightful and mean so much to me!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

too busy to spend time with his family? Poor bugger has all his priorities screwed up!

Mark Eames said...

Very sad. Sadder still is that at 11 this child can see and feel it!

I was the same though, not too long ago!!! Amazing how much good or damage we can do as parents, whether we know it or not!