Friday, November 27, 2009

Four little wheels

It has been six months since it started serving our family as a tool of rapid acceleration toward bodily injury but it received its own share of abuse last night!


About 16 teenagers from a group called Son Surf descended on our half pipe. Son Surf is a Christian group for surfers, and is very active in our area. Skating and surfing go together as they require similar in strengths in balance, core muscle strength, and careless abandon!

These kids set that ramp on fire! Well not literally! I had no idea that the stunts I saw could be pulled off on my ramp; airs, reverses, and long grinds off the top. The skating madness encouraged me to keep my poor skating skills well hidden; and instead I compensated by sticking a big flash on my camera and documenting the mayhem! There were of course some spills. One mad kid after being dared to get some air into a bush without his shirt, thought nothing of doing it twice! A number of other kids dropped in for their first time, making my own mental inability to do just that look pretty stupid!

What a wonderful group of youngsters. Excitable, energetic, and full of madness! They were also polite and friendly, and certainly seemed to be the kind of kids that I would like my children to have as friends growing up.

Luke got into the thick of things, dropping in and pulling off some tremendous top turns. He almost seemed to grow as the crowd cheered and applauded him. A tremendous boost to his self worth that no money could ever buy!

Chalk up another win for the half pipe!














5 comments:

Stevo said...

I saw some surf cabbies outide your place yesterday evening .. and the (not so) distant whooping sounds of guys having fun. And now I know why.
Great photos BTW .. your knees and ankles thank you for lurking behind the lens ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark! You totally blessed us by opening up your ramp! Next time its you dropping in!

Mik

Rees said...

Awesome to see this kind of thing happening! Hope it encoureaged both parties :)
Be blessed

AngelConradie said...

I know my knucklehead woulda been immensely impressed to meet someone with a halfpipe in their back yard!
Awesome shots Mark.

Mark Eames said...

It was SO much fun that it will be happening again this Thursday!

Will I be able to drop in this time?