Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The written word

Writing is a strange sport!

There are times when nothing comes to my mind. When I sit in my chair and stare at the screen until the words blur into unintelligible script. I type a few hesitant lines. I delete them all. I edit some text and realise that my edits are worse than the stuff that was there all along. Any distraction is enough to make me leave my spot. Anything has to be better than writing! The tank seems empty, there is nothing more to give!

I should know by now that on days like this, it is better to go surfing and try to write again later.

There are also times when words seem to flow out of my very being, down through my arms and out of my fingers. Which then blur as they touch type the thoughts and emotions that pour out of my soul. Word upon word, paragraph upon paragraph, page upon page, they stream past my eyes.

Sometimes writing just happens. It flows without stopping until it suddenly does. In those times, writing is a pleasure, a joyous exhalation of my spirit! And the stuff I write at these times is nothing short of brilliant.

So good that the few good times are more than enough to inspire me to carry on through the many bad ones!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

and may you have many more moments of inspiration.

Mark Eames said...

Please, oh yes please!!!