Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lost

Cape Town has been experiencing rather adverse weather over the last two days; with winds of over 100km/hr being recorded, lightning, and even hail. Events practically unheard of down here! The wind blown swell in the sea has been merciless, and a number of fishermen have lost their lives.

Last night I was shocked by the sad news of a Judo friend. A tree was blown over on his farm, not a small tree, an ancient one that three good men would struggle to hug together! Sadly the tree fell onto a wall of a farm worker’s cottage and killed the five year old girl sleeping on the other side.

Heart wrenching!

I cannot help but think about losing one of my own children. I would be devastated. Actually, I have no idea how I would be, as I don’t suppose anyone who has not been through such an experience could begin to understand. It does of course bring home the fact that our children are loaned to us for just the shortest of times. With this in mind, should I be changing anything in the way that I live my life? Telling my children I love them more often, hugging them more often, listening to them, spending more quality time with them? Do I fill my home with love or am I more concerned about messy rooms being cleaned?

My heart cannot but go out to the poor parents who have just lost their child.

1 comment:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I can't begin to imagine the devastation!!!