Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sleeping like a baby

Wow last night was wonderful and absolutely terrifying!

Dear Isabella has had a terrible cold over the last couple of days. Any sleep that she has had, has been interrupted by coughing fits, which results in her waking up screaming. It is so difficult to watch her struggling and not be able to help her understand it all.

Our nights have been eventful considering she has been waking up every two hours on a good stretch, and every couple of minutes on a bad one. Mix in some incredible storms with huge winds, and our lives have become more sleep deprived than ever!

Last night we were in bed by 22h40. I awoke for the first time at 04h00. Confused and disoriented. How on earth could I have slept through Isabella’s continuous waking? Even worse, how could I just leave my wife to sort out baby all night?

Donna was fast asleep and so I got up to check the bottles. I counted them a couple of times to make sure. All three were there and still full. It made no sense, as it meant that Isabella had not woken and been given a bottle, impossible! I noticed the monitor was off and so I turned it on, listening for a moment to the ominous sound of silence. Now my mind started to work, was she sleeping soundly or had something more ominous happened to her?

I was trying to decide if I should check on her and risk waking her when she suddenly sighed. Relief flooded my body, she was fine. Donna woke up a little later, groggy and asking some rather nonsensical questions about the monitor as she could not work out how it had gone on. Some conversations should really not take place in the depths of the night! We did manage to work out that our daughter had been asleep for seven hours.

Isabella eventually woke up just after 6h00, nine hours after she had gone to bed. Donna and I had managed an unbroken 5 hours of sleep each. Incredible!!!

Now, I cannot wait to make my presence felt on this day!!! Amazing how in moments of darkness there can be these incredible flashes of light...

No comments: