Monday, April 19, 2010

Home for a Visit

My other baby came home for the weekend!

That's right, my 56 Ford pickup is on the road although not in a legal sense. It has taken 16 months but the end is finally in sight. There are a number of parts still on order from the US, but all of them cosmetic. It also needs a further respray as the last job was terrible! I am hoping to have all of the relevant documentation in place in order to have the engine stamped and ultimately get this beast registered.

I did have a heart stopping moment when I went to see the South African Police Service department that deals with these issues. The officer in charge kindly explained that if I did not have an engine and chasis number, I could bring the car in, they would impound it and crush it for me. I thought he was joking but he was adament. Eventually we found a way to deal with the issue which will involve many sworn statements from all previous owners and a full photographic record of the restoration process.

I got to drive my baby the couple of blocks from the garage where all of the finishing work has been done. It was pretty cool to see other motorists heads whip around as they checked out my ride!! Needless to say it has been a hit with all of the neighbourhood kids!

My sons cannot wait to go to school in it...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic! Can't wait for more photos- and I'm really glad you found a way to get it properly regisered.