Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter Inspiration

I had a wonderful Easter weekend. An added bonus was a little insight into my future!

For many years I have wanted to change my life and do what I am meant to do. The only problem has been that I have no idea what I am meant to do. I do know that I want to add value in some way to society, but that is rather broad and unclear.

Some time back, I made my ‘big’ move, giving up corporate life to go and write a book and focus on my family. It has been wonderful time resulting in an unfinished book (although 16 chapters of good stuff have been written), an increase in my family, a pumping business, good health, low stress levels, and good community involvement. Yet here I am almost two and a half years after my day job and still wondering why I have not found the big thing that will define my life’s value.

For a guy without a defined day job, I am incredibly busy, mainly flitting from one thing to the next. In order to appease my unsatisfied mind, I have committed myself to a wide array of things. This has been my interim measure while I wait for that great inspiration to consume my life. But I find myself not really committed to all of my committments as I have this feeling that they are not the big thing I am looking for, regardless of how valuable they all are.

This Easter, I was struck by the realisation that my life does not need a radical change of direction or the next big thing. Instead and here is the good part, I need to do everything that is in my life now, really well. I think it is that simple. By doing things to the best of my ability, I will immediately make a massive contribution to the people and communities around me.

I love it when things are so simple, although it has taken me about 15 years to work this one out! I think I will use the rest of the month to put my new theory to the test.

No comments: