Monday, December 8, 2008

Off to West Africa

Today was a rough day. It all started out well. On my way out to the sea for my Monday morning board meeting, I met up with the chap who put one and one together and got one. Perhaps you remember the piece that I wrote on me breaking my good mate’s board. I showed him that I was still riding and that it was doing fine. We both had a look at the repair and saw that it was far from well and that it needed some serious love and attention. Perhaps after my surf session, I thought.

I had a fine session! I got some moves right and had heaps of waves. Eventually I dragged myself out of the sea in order to have a quick shower, get dressed, pack, hop into the car and get dropped off at the airport. A quick trip to Ghana was in order.

My wife dropped me off well early as she had to get back to sort out the children. Just as well. On checking in, I discovered that my flight had been cancelled. After a whole heap of conferencing and typing, I was upgraded to business class on an earlier flight. Had I been on time to check in, I would not have made my connection to Accra.

Eight and a bit hours of flying and I found myself in Accra, Ghana. I have a self catering apartment which is OK. Ghana is two hours behind the good old SA. I must have plonked myself into bed well after 1am and then proceeded not to sleep until I did not wake up for my alarm. Today has been filled with Coke, hopefully it will get me through...