Monday, August 11, 2008

HOT IN ACCRA

This morning began bright and early. The only thing is nobody told the sun and even though it was not yet doing its thing, it was hot and humid. My host here in Accra, an old school mate of mine, decided I needed to experience the joy of exercise in an outdoor sauna. And so at 05h45 in the morning I was preparing for a run.

Warming up in this place is an activity to be severely frowned upon. More than anything else, I needed to cool down! And I was yet to take my first step.

I have recently spent a good deal of time pounding the streets of Dar es Salaam. It is hot there too and I had hoped that my time in the sun there would have acclimatised me for anything. I was wrong!

After three steps, perhaps it was four, my body started to respond. There could be no doubt that the lovely houses and well maintained roads had nothing to do with it. Actually Accra was a revelation to me. It is for the most part a well kept and orderly town. Everything works from traffic lights to the rules of the road. That is apart from the police officer who climbed into our car the other day. He told the driver that he was under arrest for a serious traffic violation. Yes, I remember now, we turned left! After extracting the princely sum of four dollars from the driver, he proceeded to ask me for his present from South Africa. While fiddling with my camera, I replied that I would happily take his photo, and mail it to him. He did not seem keen to take me up on the offer. This I deduced from the fact that he suddenly vanished and reappeared down the block moving at a hectic pace. Strangely this incident did little to dampen my surprise and wonder at this West African country. Most of it was the people here that are so friendly and helpful that they put me to shame!

But I digress.

It was definitely after step number three and just before step number four that my face grew intensely hot. It felt like my brain was sending signals through my body like an old ship siren warning of imminent disaster. By step six, I was glowing. A meltdown was inevitable! Step ten saw great big shiny drops of sweat extrude through my pores, en masse. Then slowly at first they started to move, gathering speed and momentum as they joined other streams, forming great rivers, torrents really, that gushed to the floor.

About five kilograms lighter and much faster on my feet, we arrived back at the hotel. Thankfully I had had the foresight to set my air conditioner to its lowest setting. Changing from my wet kit into my swimming costume was an irony in itself.

And so there I was totally inspired for the day and raring to go. Who would have thought that an outdoor sauna could have had such a positive effect on me?

Just as well it is the middle of winter here!

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

It's funny how people talk about poverty here in England.

I desperately want to slap them and point how getting a house to live in, free medical health, free schooling and a small amount of money each week (the dole) is not poverty!

Those photos are beautiful.

AngelConradie said...

wow... i would just die, i hate the heat.
btw- i can't comment on that post directly but those photographs are incredible!
do you have a flickr account?