Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Evil Ego Inside

You have heard said and repeated many times. The root of all evil is money! Perhaps you have been on the defensive because you have a little money. You have had to say things like no, life requires balance, and one needs money to live, or perhaps something far more creative than those two examples.

I was reading a most inspirational book about a Catholic priest called Padre Pio. An incredibly holy man blessed with many gifts including stigmata, being in two places at once, being able to read minds and look into the future. He once asked the following question, “Do you know what evil is called?” Those in the vicinity gave all of the usual answers and names but he responded quite surprisingly by saying, “It is called I, and we need to stab it each time it appears, because it never dies!”

Hello, there is a revelation, evil is the ‘I’ within me?

That may sound a little harsh but he was not the only religious person to advance this idea. St Thomas Aquinas writing on the origin of moral evil stated that “egoism, that is the disorderly love of oneself is the cause of all sin”. St Catherine of Siena said “Love of oneself, which removes charity and delight, is the beginning and foundation of all evil”.


One does not have to think too hard or too far to understand that egos are cause for much of the world’s misery. History includes countless stories that talk to the obsessions of mad men and the countless hordes that have followed them.

My question to myself is how much misery do I cause in this life as a result of my ego and my fixation with myself and what I want?

Ah what a stupid question, I am never wrong!

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Ok. Perhaps I am just a really selfish person but I look out for myself.

This is my life and I'm the one living it so I definitely look out for myself first.

That'll change when/if I have a family but at the moment I am the most important person in MY life. I don't think that is wrong. I want to be happy and have a good life cause it is my life. What is wrong with that?

I wouldn't go out of my way to hurt others in my quest though, I'm just talking average happiness.

I don't think that money is the route of all evil either as there are plenty of rich people who are very decent and do loads to help the world.

But then again I am anti organised religion so have not had people telling me constantly that doing things for myself is wrong and that I should think of myself last.

AngelConradie said...

no no no- its not money, but the love of money thats the root of all evil!
and confidence is not an evil ego!