Thursday, August 7, 2008

So here I am on another plane ordering the same thing I always order. A Grapetiser and a still water. I sit back and wait patiently for my fantastic aeroplane lunch to arrive. I am apprehensive as an aeroplane breakfast was not too long ago on another almost forgotten plane. As I sit here and contemplate the mysteries of my life I realise that I have much to be thankful for. The majority of people on this continent have never flown on a plane before. Yet here I am grumpy about this company bus! Even more people subsist on just one meal a day. I am sitting here anticipating my second and know without a shadow of a doubt, there will be a third.

With the exciting lunch dishes out of my way, I am free to return my attention to the important aspects of my travel. What on earth to do with myself! My brain is not on the right wavelength to even pretend that I can do some work. I have no inclination to strike up a conversation with anyone. So back to musing, one of my favourite past times!

At least this plane is taking me home. Home is a wonderful place that I love to inhabit. And in my home is my wonderful wife and children. Hopefully, they are all eagerly waiting for my homecoming with open arms and hugs on the ready. I must be extremely blessed as I actually want to spend time with these people. I ache with all of my being to be near them and to enjoy life with them. Sadly, I don’t think that this is the same for most people in the world.

Actually, I have it all. A heap of someones love me dearly and that is a gift of priceless proportions. No matter where I am in the world, I will have this surety that they are out there missing me too. It brings a whole new meaning to making the most of the time that I have with those around me.

Hmmm, I think I will order a second plane lunch and then scare the passenger next to me with some unsolicited chat!

4 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Go Mark!

I always order still water and a tomato juice. For some reason a plane ride isn't a plane ride with tomato juice. I never drink it any else but on a plane.

How weird am I?

Must be some childhood throwback cause my Dad always drinks them on airplanes.

Ok enough random crap about me!

Mark Eames said...

You have exposed another weakness of mine, yes I admit to the tomato juice as a reliable stand by!

Did you know that it presumably has the greatest amount of vitamins / minerals that can be absorbed by your body in the shortest amount of time!

The Divine Miss M said...

That is probably why I crave it on the airplane.

Always so damn unhealthy!

AngelConradie said...

this was a great post, and the last line literally made me laugh out loud!