Saturday, March 29, 2008

I have well managed to coincide the dearth of my own writing with school holidays. This would not be as important if I did not have any children, but I do. The last couple of days have been spent swimming in their holiday lives. We have done so many things and it has been wonderful.

Being a bit of a book worm in my past, I have often read of people (fictional and non fictional) quoting their dads and moms. These people seem to have passed on real wisdom to their children which they have kept and applied to their lives, and then passed on to their kids and so on. I have often wondered how I would ever do the same as I would like my children to have the benefit of some of my own learned wisdom.

I have come to realise that the only way this happens is for one to be immersed in their lives. Then opportunities for this passing on of wisdom (can I call anything I spout be called wisdom?) abound. There can be no doubt that children are these proverbial sponges and they sure soak this stuff up. I have found it immensely rewarding to see some of my teaching in action. ‘Look daddy, that guy is swimming the wrong way in that current’ and ‘dad, you can let my brother do it as he has not had a turn’.

Ahhh, and then for the rest of the time there are some serious battles to resolve!

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

sounds like they've learned some good lessons already!