Thursday, March 27, 2008

I have strayed from my writing path. I have followed other paths, other ways. I have failed to blog as a good blogger should!

There has been some theory to my lack of writing. After writing a whole heap of good chapters, I moved onto some of the more serious aspects of my book. Reading this serious stuff again, I discovered that I was writing drivel. No, it was worse than that, it was slimy, boring and nonsensical muck! I had lost my groove, my exultation, my plot. I was unsure if I had any plot to begin with.

And so I have taken a complete break from writing with the hope that this is all I need to start again refreshed, energised and with a serious plan in mind. I am sort of back! I have decided to dabble a bit with some blogging, the proverbial dipping my big toe into the waters of wordiness.

It seems to be working. I have some more ideas and styles that I would like to play with and a certainty as to the message that I want to communicate. At long last I am getting the idea that this book is the purging of my soul and that this is a book for me. If you like it too, that would just be a bonus!

My son shocked me this evening. I turned on the computer to get busy on this piece and he asks me if it has Microsoft Paint. I was a little surprised and so opened the program and let him get on with his stuff. In a couple of minutes he had drawn the following:


Just so you understand, he is six! His grannies would be proud....

In a whole different direction....

I have always been the ‘well planned’ kind of guy. My life was so full that I did not like things to change my plans. In fact those little things were irritations to be avoided by even better planning. Hmmm, I was possibly a little boring. These days, I have to say that I am just as busy but the real joy is that all of my busyness is driven by stacks of opportunities that arise on a daily basis. All opportunities that involve food and surfing go immediately to the top of the list, closely followed by photographic shoots. A combination of all of these is a jackpot!

I have discovered spontaneity! Something that I possibly frowned upon in the past, is now something that moves my world. Life does happen now and there is so much to learn right now. There is also so much to give back right now and so much joy to give and to share.

Just this last weekend, my wife and I decided to change our Easter plans in minutes. We ended overnighting with family a mere two hours drive away. And what a wonderful family Easter Sunday we had. And we almost missed out because it was such a mission....

I have resolved to take everything as an opportunity, to relish their difficulties and rejoice in their possibilitities!

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

I hope that you continue writing. I only discovered your blog yesterday and have devoured many of your posts and am looking forward to more!

Good luck in your search and congratulations on the spontanity - I'm only just starting to get the hang of it too.

Mark Eames said...

Thanks Divine, I am a new boy on the block so still trying different things! But having plenty of fun doing it...stay cool!