Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Today if you see somebody walking around with a funny looking smudge on their forehead, please do not wet your finger and try and wipe it off. The reason for the smudge could be that today is Ash Wednesday, the start of the season of Lent. Lent is really the 40 days leading up to Easter and is a time of reflection and repentance. The smudge could also be some nasty dirt, but please refrain from the wet finger thing!

As part of the celebration of Ash Wednesday, ashes are blessed and then a simple cross is drawn on everyone’s foreheads. Hence many people walking around with dirty faces. The symbolism is that the ash represents that man has come from dust and to dust he shall return. This service really brings it home that that we are all destiny bound for nothing!

Interestingly enough I read in a book by Deepak Chopra that 98% of the body is less than a year old. Our bodies are continually becoming dust, much faster than I ever imagined. Did you know that your skin is replaced once a month and is therefore only ever one month old? The only thing that ages is the ethereal essence that is you and I. The rest of our make up is pretty young and happening!

As we march onward to this space of dust, we should be asking what is it all about? And each of us, if we search should be blessed with our own answer. It is up to each one of us to use that hidden power within to do really incredible things. The great tragedy in life is not that we die, it is that we die with our power untapped and unused.

I am not sure how much time I have before I too am a shade of grey and very dusty! Right now, I am blessed with time which is my own and I know that I need to use this time wisely. My challenge to myself is to find something difficult that I can start doing that not only helps me to repent but also leads me closer to my God and helps others at the same time. Best I get thinking and moving.......

No comments: