Monday, February 11, 2008

Have you noticed how people define themselves by the kind of work that they do. Just about every official form you complete requires an occupation. I wonder what on earth officials do with this piece of information. Is this a trick question to catch out unsuspecting criminals when they fill in robber or safe cracker? Even the forms at passport control require an occupation. Do you think that the officials at a border would laugh if I filled in dad? It would seem that society is obsessed with the question of what we do.

Some occupations have more prestige and status than others. Certainly teachers and nurses must be at the bottom of the pile as this is how we reward them. I find it hard to believe that a teacher as one of the most influential persons in my children’s lives is treated as if their role is society is one of the least.

We have cleverly devised the use of grand titles to define our status in society. I read a book this weekend about Ireland. It was interesting to see how the author portrayed the characters through the centuries as initially desiring land. Then came wealth followed by an obsession with class and titles. It is clear that this is still in evidence today. Whilst we do not come into contact with many Earls and Lords, a grand business title now gives one the same amount of prestige.

I find myself in a quandary. I have no title! The question I ask myself is, do I crave the status and prestige linked to an important title and position in society?

Is it possible that this need comes back to my own emotional intelligence? That if within myself I am happy and satisfied, I will not need this external recognition and prestige from others. If this is no longer a need I have, surely I can focus on the things that are really important to me like being a father and a husband.

I also think that the priorities of your life are clearly conveyed by how you answer the question; what do you do? If you define yourself by your job or title, then that must be the thing that takes first place in your life. I think that it is time for a change. What if more people defined themselves as fathers instead of directors of large corporations? Would this have an impact on the relative importance that we give to fatherhood, or motherhood, as opposed to our occupations?

So if you ask me what I do now, I will tell you that I am a father of two and husband to my wonderful wife (thank goodness she still wants me), I am a passionate amateur photographer, a gardener, an obscure bloggist and an author in training. The answer is more honest although certainly unimpressive by societies’ standards!

No comments: