Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My life is pretty surreal at the moment. I feel like I am watching all of the participants of a whole host of plays. All of the actors seem to be wonderful people and all allow me to join them on stage and watch them as they perform. This is rather a mystical space as I have no right to be there and some of these plays are deeply personal and moving. There are some brilliant actors, and their performances are faultless and believable. Other actors are not so good and their true self lies close to the surface.

Some are busy with plays that I have previously had a role in myself. Those are the most interesting plays, not because I know the role or the outcome, as it changes all the time, but more because I have a new point of view. I am now an observer and not a participant and this makes all of the difference. All of a sudden I can see things that were previously hidden to me. Things like the stress that people experience on a daily basis. When you have none of your own, it is rather obvious in those around you. This is also the stress that I used to carry as an overwhelming burden that used to keep me bowed low to the ground. Perhaps that is why I could not notice the same thing in everyone around me, I was too busy just trying to keep my balance and see my way ahead.

The other key thing that I see these days are the interactions between people. We, people are a funny lot. There is so much information that passes between people all of the time. For myself, the observer in the play, there is so much I get to see that nobody even knows that they are sharing. What a privilege and a wonderful way to learn all about people. How they get on with each other, who is on top of things, who is valued and who not, and who is frustrated and annoyed and happy and wanting to leave. All of these things are there as clear as daylight imprinted onto every personal interaction and yet for most of us they are invisible. I have to say that I am having a fine time!

There are some new plays that are coming soon to my life. I am excited by the interesting possibilities that they offer but am also wary about losing my new found insight. I hope to find some way to anchor the role of impartial observer into these plays whilst finding a way to be a part of the play too.

In the play I wondered into yesterday, the actors were highly stressed and looking to get through the week as fast as possible. This play was all about a children’s party for the Top Billing magazine. My mentor’s role was to picture food and decor in a way that made it decadent and sumptuous. It was great to watch my mentor at work, keeping the client happy and taking pictures in far from brilliant conditions. There is so much for me to learn! I will be watching Peter later in the week in a show all about framing and I will walk away with my long unframed pictures framed by me. I will also watch him in action in the embroidery world, I am sure that this will be reminiscent of the Rocky Horror Picture Show!!!!

In my own play at home, there has been a wonderful reversal of roles. My wife caught a plane this morning on a business trip to Johannesburg. I still feel suspiciously happy that it is not me on the plane! For the first time, she is the one that gets to do the business and visit with friends and family while away. I am extremely happy for her as well as my good fortune to spend some quality time with my children! Ah yes, my super dad role!

I am off to play another role, that one where I pretend I am a taxi driver and shuttle my children all over the place. I know my wife is good at this one and I seem to remember my mom training hard too!!!

No comments: