Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I had a farewell dinner last night with my old boss and his team. It was pretty surreal to be reunited with the bunch of them after 8 weeks of being away. People were pretty intrigued as to what I have been up to (I suppose they should read my blog more!) Generally they could not understand what I spend my time doing every day. Me either, as I have little to show for my 8 weeks. I was asked an interesting question though – are you spending time in thought. I was a little blown away by the question and so I spent some time thinking about an answer. I thought for a long time as I really needed to increase my average!!

I certainly have spent a lot of time in thought but in very different ways to the way I used to use my brain. It is now focussed on creative endeavours like writing, and blogging, and photography. It has not been used at all along the lines that it used to be used. Even so, this piece of grey matter has been a busy piece of apparatus!

The thinking question got me thinking that I needed to spend more time thinking. And so I went on an artists date this morning. It was fantastic. Just me doing something that I really enjoy, with the principle aim of relaxing mind and body. I took a five minute drive up to the nature reserve. There I stepped out of my car into another world. A short walk and I was in a pine forest. The fragrance of the pine needles was strong and mind altering. The light was dappled and the world was quiet. I sat on a tree stump surrounded by massive trees and then I sat some more. None of them fell over and I tried to wait until they talked to me. It was a soul refreshing experience.

My normal operating process is to rush in and conquer the task at hand. This morning I just sat on my stump and observed. And only when the time felt right, did I pull out my camera and slowly clean my lenses. When they were perfect, only then was I ready to shoot.










I am now invigorated. My creative juices have been replenished. My soul is shiny and bright. Chapter six lies ahead of me but perhaps it will be less daunting. Perhaps I will move straight on to chapter seven!

Do yourself a favour and make some time no matter how difficult that maybe. Then go and sit on a rock, or contemplate the ocean, or smell the pine needles. Inhale life, breathe inspiration and shock the world with your new found vigour and enthusiasm!

No comments: