Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tweeting Mad

I am no Twitter follower or tweeter myself. I guess if I am serious about moving with the times, I will need to get an account, like the millions of other early adopters.


When I look at the statistics behind Twitter, I get really scared. The top 3 Twitter accounts by number of followers are Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and Barack Obama. The first 2 have more than 10 million followers each. Think about the power they have to sway a sizable following of people. It’s immense. Where any idea they have can be picked up in an instant anywhere around the world and acted upon.

The rest of the top 20 is mainly populated by singers and a couple of other people I have never heard of. It attests to the power of music and how with popular music comes notoriety.

Whether we like it or not, these are the role models of the world. These are the people our children will aspire to become. Are you happy about that? Not sure that I am. Where are the people of great goodness inspiring us all to be better than we are? Where are those people whose lives lead the way as examples of loving ones fellow man?

I got to number 60 on the list before I stopped and had a second look. Strangely enough not somebody I would ever have thought of following but his bio simply stated, ‘Sharing cool things I am learning through my foundation and other interests.’ Could it be that Bill Gates is now the man inspiring the world? Or are his ‘cool things’ all about money and power, and not ‘cool’ at all?

To satisfy my curiosity, I have become one of Bill’s groupies.

I am a little nervous...

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

That man's propaganda is worth billions! Take heed, some of it may rub off on you.

AngelConradie said...

LOL!
Welcome to the Twitterverse!
I've been tweeting for a while and I've discovered you can learn a lot from checking out a person's "following" list. I have also since split my interests into 4 different Twitter accounts... :P
I have to just say, the free publicity I get for my cupcake business through Twitter is priceless!!