Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Blogging and Business

Blogging is a funny sport. It involves taking one’s life and airing it out for everyone to see. Warts and all! Part of the deal is that my life’s voyeurs even comment and tell me how weird or wonderful I am. And best of all, I can chose to accept or ignore that commentary. To the Scotts Lass who always has something to say, I am most grateful! There is nothing quite like putting yourself out there and receiving something in return!


Running a man alone business adds an extra complexity into the equation. Essentially those who wish to engage me invariably perform an internet search on my name and end up reading these wonderful stories about my warts. In the world of management, this may not be as appealing as it seems.

And so I need to live in two different worlds, the censored world in which I can only blog about my beautiful warts; and the real world in which a whole lot more tends to happen. The former ensures that I do not blog about clients, or their jobs, or the joys and frustrations of dealing with those clients. It also prevents me from blogging about the irksome realities of running a one man consulting business; the financial pressures, work availability, and loneliness of running wild and free and alone. A big chunk of my being is only accessible in private!

My challenge is to try and write about family and experiences and thoughts that are completely voyeur friendly. Two concerns spring up; is this blog really me and should I care what my potential clients may think? With some thought, my answers would be that the blog is mainly me but not all of me. The reality of supporting my family means that I must care about conflicts with potential clients. Although I wonder if by sharing all of me, clients who read my drivel may make better decisions about common values, which will lead to better relationships in the future.

If I want my blog to be truly meaningful, it needs to be all of me!

4 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Thanx you for the shout out. Yo know I love reading your blog and keeping up to date with whats going on in your life.

Most of my friends read my blog. My family does too but they only search for the family updates and photos and skim over and ignore all the naughty bits on my blog. They know me by now - its part of who I am.

As for colleagues? well, yes some of them do read my blog but I don't really talk about work much over at A Daft Scots Lass.

I try to keep work away from the blog and I definitely try not to "diss" on my blog (well I don't include names).

I once had a colleague that asked me if I was referring to her in one of my Fawk You Friday vent posts. I just replied "Oh don't flatter yourself!". I guess they know me all too well at work too. I don't mince my words and if I'm upset with someone, they generally know. If the shoe fits....

I don't know how bloggers keep their anonymity for years on end referring to their partners at "Babe" and their children as "#1" and "#2" and not including any personal details. My lips flap far too much for that. I will always let something slip.

My blog is pretty much "what you see is what you get" and thats me in real life too.

I may have a bit of a "rougher" personality online but that's because you can get away with it when you're not face to face and you don't have to explain your every move.

I really am only a Big Softie with a Big Mouth.

AngelConradie said...

It certainly does get tricky nowadays! When I started blogging people didn't Google you as soon as they met you, but I was very careful not to give too much away on my blog.
It is hard though, not being able to blog everything you want to blog.

Mark Eames said...

Aha, so it not just me!

Scots Lass, your blog is crazy with a capital F. I have often wondered what your family say about it. Then again, as they say, I am what I am. It is nice to be able to share parts of the real you - others must accept or move on.

Mark Eames said...

Ah, Thanks to both of you for sticking with me. All of my readers (bar you 2) are VERY internet shy!

It does however make for some interesting conversations in person when comments are shared one on one!