Monday, March 28, 2011

Standing tall

It’s Saturday and Granny, Matt, and I are at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology for a club Judo competition.


Matt was hyped up and ready to go. Weighing in at 20.3kg, putt him squarely into the lightest weight category for the youngest Judoka’s. The fact that he was the smallest chap there did not dent his enthusiasm in the slightest.

He is called up in the first batch of contestants. I watch as my six year old son charges off into the competition area. Alone! He introduces himself to the officials and then stands in the queue as instructed, patiently waiting his turn. My stomach is doing cartwheels on his behalf; he seems calmer than still water. The first two fights are over quickly and he is up.

He bows in a specific order to the competition area, the mat, and his opponent. Then the match begins. His opponent, a girl, is about a head taller than him. They grab each other and begin to shuffle around the mat. Matthew tries to turn in a couple of times for a throw and gets nowhere. The girl strikes first and throws him for a minor point. He gets up, they grab hold, and begin again. He continues to avoid all of her attacks and then turns in and throws her spectacularly over his head. He earns a full point and wins the fight.

I can only look on with amazement. It is hard to let your little child go, knowing that it is up to him to fend for himself. No coaches, no parents, no one but himself. I am fascinated by the way this little child thinks through the situation he finds himself in, takes evasive action, and then finds a solution to the complex problem of fighting an opponent. I do Judo with him twice a week and did not realise that he could do what he has just done.

Perhaps he surprised himself as well...

A few fights later and he is back on the mat. He squares up with another kid about the same size as him. This kid goes on the attack. Matt again finds himself avoiding but trips the kid up for a minor point. They square up again and seemingly out of nowhere Matt has the kid over his legs and flat on his back for a full point. Another fantastic win, and my jaw drops for the second time that morning.

Two good fights and Matt takes his first gold medal. He seems completely unaffected by it all; just another day at the office for him!

This tiny little boy, so full of passion, potential, and love, has grown up in big strides in my estimation. More importantly he managed to get his granny on her tiptoes shouting at the top of her lungs. Not very granny like, but certainly befitting of the occasion!

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

Oh that takes me back to when I watched my Damien at his gymnastics competitions! I had a ball of excitement in my stomach that made me want to to yell and clap and cheer and I was always so proud of him! And when his scores were held up I would be pointing and nudging everyone going "Thats my boy!!!"
:D